Thursday, July 11, 2013

Day 32

Woke up to another sunny day had a great sunrise with the sunrise reflecting off the ponds near the hut. I didn't get any pictures of it unfortunately. I wanted to do a tough day hiking to the next hut so I didn't stick around for breakfast. There was a ski resort in top of the third peak of Wildcat mountain that operates a gondola to the peak and will carry your pack down the mountain. I totally did that.The climb down wildcat is one of the longest and steepest in the whole trail so doing it without a pack was a knee saver. The only problem was I didn't have a good way to carry water. After I retrieved my pack I had the long hike up Madison mountain. The first 2500 feet was a nice gentle slope over 5 miles followed by a steep 2000+ climb in 1.5 miles. The final half mile was a nice ridge climb and I had clear weather with great views until I reached the peak. At which point it got cloudy again. I spent the night at Madison springs hut and was the only through hiker again.

No comments:

Post a Comment