Thursday, July 11, 2013

Day 30

Decided to do a relatively short day to have a better hut experience in the whites. The whites hut system is pretty nice for through hikers. We get to spend the night at one of there enclosed heated huts, have all the leftover food we can eat and sleep in the hut all for doing one hour if work. The same experience costs the tourists $100-125 but they get bunks with blankets and pillows. There is a limit to the number of hikers they accept each night. I knew there was a couple in front of me heading south and the hut would only accept two hikers. I had heard from a few nobos that the first hut was a really good one to stop at. So I decided to do a short day and stop at imp campsite. The shelters up in the whites are all pay to stay but they let through hikers do a work for stay. There was a boy scout troop taking up the entire shelter which was annoying because the site only had wood tent platforms which doesn't work for me. My tent needs to be staked out to be water proof and the wood platforms make that hard. I eventually got it staked by sticking the stakes in the grooves between the planks but a strong wind would rip it out and there were thunderstorms in the horizon. Luckily they skipped me and it just drizzled.

No comments:

Post a Comment