Sunday, May 11, 2014

May 9th Lost Valley to Tule Spring

Spent last night cowboy camping, basically sleeping without a tent. It was a perfect night for it, clear, cool, and no bugs. I got up and moving before the other hikers and headed 8 miles down the trail to a trail angels house where there was water.
I had planned on hitting the trail angels house and hiking a few more miles before it got too hot, but when I got there buzzard bait, the guy I helped on the first day,  was chilling and said there was free sodas and chips.  So I decided to stick around until after 3. The trail angel rarely is home but he has a hiker act as a caretaker during hiker season. After talking with the other hikers I decided to do 10 more miles and camp at Tule Spring instead of my original plan since it was supposed to be a better camp spot.

Buzzard bait decided to hike with me since he had to wait until Monday to pick up a package from town. On our way to the spring we ran into another hiker we had met 4 miles from the spring. She was eating dinner and recovering from having hiked in the heat. It seems the guide book she had had the mileage to the spring wrong and she thought she only had a mile left and used all her water on dinner. I gave her my spare liter and headed to the spring hoping she was alright. She showed up at the spring right at dark exhausted from doing 4 more miles than she planned but otherwise ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment