Wednesday, May 21, 2014

May 20th willow creek to Silverwood lake

What a great day. Started out a bit late since I was in a canyon and didn't get woken up before the sun like usual. The hike followed deep creek until it got diverted by a damn. Along the way I walked past deep creek hot springs which is a natural mineral spring. I didn't go in though since there were 4 naked people in it and the usda said there was the brain eating ameba in it. The water was a perfect temperature especially early in the morning.

A little further down the trail I caught up with Wizit, wizard in training, who was visiting from Canada and doing a short section ending at interstate 15. We got to chatting and hiked the rest of the day together. It was nice to have someone to hike with since I had ditched everyone else in big bear. After a few miles she stops and points out a cute squirrel on the side of the trail, I'm like he's cute but what about the rattlesnake 5 ft in front of you on the trail. The tossing sand in the face trick worked again and we all went on our way peacefully.

After hiking for a few more miles we reached the spillway for the creek and stopped to soak our feet in the creek. It was so cool and soothing as well as cleansing since I was able to wash my legs and give my feet a sand scrub.

We continued hiking until we reached the spot Wizit had planned on camping for the night. It was at the bottom of the damn for Silverwood lake. It was dry, cold and windy. The water source there was described as "beyond vile" at first I disagreed with this description as I was peering over the left side of the bridge which was clear flowing but covered in algae. Then I looked on the right side where a condom was floating upstream... between the bad camping, terrible water, and feeling better than expected Wizit decided to push on to where I planned to camp for the night. On our way there we found some trail magic with milk in it. Hadn't seen that before so I drank one. It was good, a bit too cold as it had ice chunks in it but that's better than being hot and spoiled. We eventually got to the lake and chose a great campsite which was normally a boat in only picnic spot. But we were hikers a little thing like a steep bushwhacked trail wasn't going to stop us from camping at such a nice spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment