Wednesday, May 21, 2014

May 17th arrastre creek to big bear

Had another great nights sleep while sleeping next to a stream. Got woken up early by some other hikers heading into town. I took my time and didn't get moving until 8 since it was going to be a short 3 miller trip to the highway and a hitch. There was more trail magic waiting for us at the highway courteous of the hostel in town. I got a hitch into town with mountain goat by a nice fireman on his way to watch his sons baseball game. Unfortunately he could only take us to big bear city and we needed to get to big bear lakes for the hostel. The us a bits that ribs between the two towns and while we were waiting for it the owner of the hostel saw us and picked us up. Big bear lakes was gorgeous but was a little too spread out for those of us with no cars. Luckily right next to the hostel was a ski rental place that rented bicycles out during the summer and gave a discount to hikers. So I was able to ride a bicycle to do my town chores instead of walking. It was painful. Walking 4 miles is a joke but after just 2 miles of cycling my legs were shot. Still it saved me a good 3 hours which let me go see the new godzilla movie with a few other hikers. It was terrible but godzilla kicked some monster ass. Totally worth the 6 I spent on it and not a penny more.

After the movie I went out for drinks with Jay who had just received some terrible news. His father, who was already sick and in bad shape,  had contracted pneumonia and was hospitalized. His mom hadn't told him about it cause she didn't want to worry him while he was hiking. He found out later that his father was in organ failure and probably wasn't going to last the night. It was rough on Jay who had to wait until morning to get out of town and to an airport. If something like that happens while I'm on the trail don't hesitate to contact me. I don't want to learn about something like that on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment