Monday, May 26, 2014

May 21st the tarantula wasp

During our hike today we came upon a once in a lifetime type event. I had heard of and seen these giant wasps all over the trail. I think Malia was the first person to tell me about them. They are a type of wasp that captures tarantulas by stinging and paralyzing them. They then drag them back to their nest where they lay eggs in the still alive but paralyzed tarantula. The babies eventually hatch and stay eating the alive but paralyzed tarantula from the inside. Eventually the burst out of the tarantula aliens style. Talk about nasty. I saw one of them and wanted to tell the story to Wizit. Upon closer look at the wasp I noticed it was dragging a tarantula. The poor tarantula was paralyzed and being dragged to a horrible fate. It was amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment