Thursday, May 8, 2014

May 7th dry creek to San Ysidro creek

Got up at the usual predawn and gor hiking around 630. I had a really hard time dealing with the temperature this morning. There was a strong wind that I kept getting hit by which brought the temperature down by like 20 degrees. Then the sun would make it like 10 degrees hotter.  As the trail wound around the mountains I would have temperature swings of 30 degrees within 20 yards.  I couldn't get a good layer going cause I would melt in the sun, couldn't hike too fast cause the sweat would make me freeze in the wind, and couldn't go too slow or the wind and shadows were freezing. The cold winds definitely helped me conserve water. Even camping and hiking all day I reached the 3rd gate water cache with 3.5 liters of water. I made really good time and got to the spot I wanted to camp at by 5. I could have kept going and hiked into the town of warner springs, but the spot I hiked was a cute little stream. Lots of old cow paddies everywhere but nothing fresh enough to stink.  So I decided to camp there next to the stream. I filtered a liter of water just in case but didn't drink any of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment