Monday, May 26, 2014

May 24 Guffy cg ti little Jimmie springs cg

It wasn't as cold when I got up. Mostly cause the wind had died down. It was a good thing I had hiked as far and hard as I had yesterday since a bunch of week enders showed up to stay their memorial day weekend. They weren't too bad but they stayed up late and decided shooting guns at 10pm was a good idea. Mountain goat and I had a nice easy stroll down to highway 2 where we got an easy hitch into town. I just needed to do a resupply while he was going to stay till Tuesday. We had a nice breakfast at the grizzly cafe, there seems to be a lot of those on this trail. I got my resupply and headed out.
I wanted to do 14 more miles to the little bear spring for a nice convenient combination campground and water. I hadn't looked at the terrain for those 14 miles and was taken completely unaware by mount baden-powell, the boy scout mountain. The hike up the mountain is 2700 ft in 4 miles, easy by at standards. Since I wasn't aware of that I just changed up it like all the other little hills I had been climbing. The whole time thinking this is great training for the Sierras. About halfway up I had to stop for a cliff bar and water break. While I was snacking a little girl comes skipping down the mountain and let's me know just what I was getting into and that I should take lots of breaks. I think that was the first time climbing a mountain where the random encouragement from a stranger was actually useful. Since she told me something I didn't know instead of pointless statements of being almost there, or just a few more switchbacks. Eventually I got to the top, with a lot more breaks, and was treated to a great view. I also ran into Tank up there, a hiker that started the same day as me but had only seen in towns, and another hiker I hadn't merry named real time. I had been hiking with a girl named badass since leaving Wrightwood. The three of them went on ahead to the camp while I took pictures and very slowly made my way there. I was feeling totally wiped out and could bearly struggle up some 200 ft climbs on the way to the campground. Luckily it was almost all downhill at that point so I made it to camp.

That place was packed there were at least 5 boy scout troops with at least 10 boys each there plus 6 hikers and at least 10 more planning on coming in. Thankfully everyone was tired from the climb up baden-powell and went to bed early.

No comments:

Post a Comment