Thursday, May 8, 2014

May 6th Rodriguez water tank to mile 86

I got up late planning on staying at the water tank since there was supposed to be a cold rain storm rolling through. Everyone else decided to go anyway. After reading a bit with no sign of rain I decided to go. I got moving around 930 with my pack heavily burdened by water. The next 32 miles was supposed to be no water. There used to be a cache of water after 10 miles but the hikers earlier in the year trashed the place so the guy maintaining the cache stopped doing it. I made the right call and didn't get any rain and was able to make really good time without needing much water. When I got to the place the cache used to be there was a hiker from last year doing some trail magic. He had a cooler with fresh fruit and cold drinks. After pigging out on his goodies I decided to press on since I was looking good on water and it was cool and cloudy.  The stretch I was hiking must be torture normally since there was no shade at all and no water. I hiked until 5 pm when I was getting hungry so I decided to cook dinner.  Right as I finished dinner a quick drizzle ended my plans to hike further. I tented up right next to where I was eating. It was a nice spot but it was a dry creek. So all night I was worried about possible flash floods and didn't sleep well.

No comments:

Post a Comment