Wednesday, May 21, 2014

May 19th little bear springs to willow creek

Yet another chilly morning. There were two other hikers camped with us last night, iceman and polar bear, a guy who earned his name at the grizzly manor by eating the polar bear breakfast, the breakfast pictured in my last post. Today was gonna be another easy hike mostly downhill walking in a canyon next to a creek the whole way. For the first time on the trail water was easy to get. It was so nice only carrying a single litre instead of at least 3. The trail was beautiful with great views of the canyon the whole time. I was making great time a took a long lunch break to finish reading a book. It was nice knowing that it was cool enough to be able to hike in the middle of the day without the mandatory break until 3. On the way I ran across a rattlesnake and decided to try a new technique to get it to move. According to Bear from ziggy and the bears if you gently toss sand and dirt at the snake it will move since they don't have eyelids. It worked great the snake was surprised by my first toss but when it got hit by the 2nd and 3rd it just slithered into the bushes. I still gave it a wide berth.
The campsite I picked was at a small feeder creek to the one I had been hiking next to. It was supposed to have a nice flow and a few campsites near it. By the time I got the the campsites were taken so I had to bushwhack a little to make room.

No comments:

Post a Comment