Thursday, May 29, 2014

May 28 hiker haven to boquet canyon road

The plan for the day is to take a zero and get everything organized for the Sierras. There is a twice daily shuttle down to LA to hit the supermarkets and rei. Both shuttles hold 14 ppl and were completely full, I had signed up for the morning one yesterday so I was fine but that just goes to show how crowded the place is.

I got a hold of a friend from the AT, Grommet,  who was hiking the PCT but had to get off due to injury and asked if I could use her bear vault for the Sierras. I was waiting to see if the Ursack would be approved since it's a sack and only weights 8 oz instead of 3 pounds, but the government is slow and it hasn't been approved yet. Luckily for me Grommet said yes which just goes to show how awesome the trail community is out here. Think about how you would react in normal life if a guy you only met for two days asked to borrowed a $60 piece of equipment for two months.

With that taken care of all I had to do was plan how I was going to resupply. There isn't really a town resupply option in the Sierra so you have to do mail drops.  I wanted to do Kennedy medows and the Muir trail ranch. I got talked into doing my 2nd resupply at the town of Independence. The hike to independence is a birch since you have to hike a pass but it is supposed to be very pretty and worth it. Plus it costs $50 to pick up a package from the ranch and you are bound to spend more money once you get there.

After getting all my supplies setup and a new pair of shoes Mrs Saufley helped me get the packages mailed. While we were working on it she brought up a funny song about taco bell, pizza Hut, combination taco bell pizza Hut. Then proceeded to get blast it over their speakers and dance to it. All the whole causing every hiker there to now have this horrible song stuck in our heads forever. Thanks Mrs Saufley I'll find a way to repay you someday.

Having gotten everything done I needed to do I decided to hike on instead of taking the zero. There was still 200 miles to go to get to lake Isabella by next Wednesday. So I hiked 10 miles and called it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment