Wednesday, May 14, 2014

May 12th Idyllwild to fuller ridge campsite

Had to hit the post office to mail my bounce box on to big bear. A bounce box contains things that you might need but don't want to carry with you, finger nail clippers are a good example. When I was packing up my tent the stuff sack that came with it ripped. So I had to make a detour to the local outfitter. I decided to get two stuff sacks instead of one so I can store my rain fly separately from my tent. If done right I can setup and take down my tent without it getting wet. The rain fly and footprint will be soaked but since everything is in separate sacks I should be able to keep the tent dry.

I got a hitch out of town with Fed-X, formally known as Andy, up to devils slide trail. This was a much steeper trail graded for humans not pack animals which would get us back to the PCT right at the end of the closed area. The trail was steeper than anything else on the PCT but only about as steep as the trails in Georgia.

I was feeling the altitude right away and had bad coughing fits the whole way up the mountain. I decided if I was still coughing that bad when I got to the hostel tomorrow I would go to a doctor. I think it was just being so short on oxygen at 9000 ft that my body needed the full use of my lungs and finally tried to get rid of the remaining goo from the cold I had before the trip.

Because of the trouble I was having with the altitude I decided to skip the summit and just hike to a nice campsite. There was some amazing views from the mountain and the peak is supposed to have the longest views in the state due to its height and lack of other mountains obstructing the view. I am definitely going to be coming back to summit it sometime.

There were some interesting things up on the mountain. There was a campground at 9000 ft with a porta potty. It was very strange. There was the biggest fallen tree blocking the trail. A trail maintenance crew with pack mules was up there clearing the fallen trees and when they got to that one they turned around cause they didn't have a big enough saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment