Thursday, May 22, 2014

May 21st Silverwood lake to highway 15

I got a slow start along with everyone else. The campsite was just to nice for us to hurry out of. I eventually got moving as I was low on water and had been advised to not drink the lake water. I had planned a relatively short day, 16 miles,  where I would reach a stream 1 mile short of highway 15. That way I could get up early in the morning and have McDonald's for breakfast. Because of the short day I ended up staying at the picnic ground where I got my water at until after lunch. Right as I was about to head out Wizit caught up with me and we decided to hike together again. Even though the distance was shorter she was struggling. She had overdone it yesterday.

The first two thirds of the hike was pretty boring without the amazing views from yesterday. All that changed when we got about 5 miles from the highway. Suddenly there were some sheer cliff faces made of just sand and we were hiking down a knifes edge with 1000 ft drops. To make it more fun there was a nice strong wind trying to blow us off the cliff.

When we were about 2 miles from the highway and I thought Wizit was just going to call it and camp on the knifes edge we saw a message someone had left for us in the sand. We later found out it was 11. The message gave Wizit the boost she needed to make it the rest of the way. When we got to the spot we had planned on camping at and didn't see anyone there Wizit decided the allure of a motel room and taco dinner was enough to get her to hike 1 more mile to the highway.

No comments:

Post a Comment