Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Day 126

What a great day. It was a bit chilly sleeping in the hostel by myself but the breakfast was amazing. I got a ride down to roan and picked up my 15° bag from the post office and mailed my other one home. I also got some gloves but that was it for winter/fall gear that I wasn't already carrying. After resupply I finally got on the trail at 11. No big deal I only had to do 14 to get to the roan mtn shelter, the highest one on the trail. The hike up to the ridge leading to roan was long but well switchbacked. So I got to the top if the first mountain, humpback, which happened to be a bald so I was treated to 360° views with perfect blue skies as far as the eye could see. This scene repeated itself 5 more times that day. It was fantastic. Along the way I stopped off at the only privy for 150 miles south of damascus just because it was there. Roan mtn shelter is the highest shelter on the trail wiry two stories and four walls. It was rather nice and stayed warm even though it was in the 30s. Earlier in the day I had passed the section hikers from the hostel and they told me they had stashed a beer for me at a parking lot right before the shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment