Thursday, May 4, 2017

Windy


What a gorgeous day. That storm yesterday blew everything away so outs nothing but blue skies. The temps dropped down to a much more reasonable 70. Just about a perfect day. That is if one doesn't factor in the 5-15 mph headwinds with the occasional 30-50mph gusts.
Butterflies on a windy day. 

Today's ride was up a river valley. It was basically a very gentle slope all day. There were some rolling hills here and there but that was all. It really was a perfect spring day for riding the other direction. Still a good ride for me but the grass is always greener going the other way.

As I made my way to the town of Troutville I ran into an accident on the road. This was a first for me. I've seen wrecked cars blocking the road before but I had never seen a house that had crashed and obstructed the road. Yep a house. A house moving company had messed up and caught a corner of the house they were moving stuck on a wall. It wasn't anything major and no harm was done too the house but they couldn't move it and it was blocking the road. 
Traffic was able to squeeze by by using a driveway so it wasn't a big deal. I stuck around to watch the show wondering how they were going to get it unstuck. I started to think up all kinds of grand strategies for how I would do it using cranes, breaking the wall, or some other expensive and time consuming method. 

Meanwhile the professional movers took some 4x4 wood blocks from their truck laid them out under the tires and drove the house trailer up into them. Wala house unstuck, wall in one piece, and traffic flowing normally before rush hour. That's why you pay the pros to do something crazy like move a house. Since it was basically rush hour I decided to call it quits for the day.




1 comment: