Monday, May 8, 2017

Leaving Blacksburg

Finally made it out of Blacksburg, after 130 but I made it. I had planned on leaving at 9 but I started a project of improving how my phone is stored on the bike. I have this phone holder that is basically a giant rubber band. It works my phone only fell off once when I didn't secure the rubber band properly. The problem is the band either crosses the center of my screen, which is the part I need to see my maps, presses on the power or volume buttons, or makes it so I can't unlock it. Until now I've been using a twisty tie to arrange the rubber band from pressing any buttons. But that makes the phone seem a bit unsecure to me so I was looking for a better method. My friend suggested we use magnets super glued to the phone and my "gas can" bag. After a couple of hours with super glue on all my fingers we finally decided that the magnets won't work. The glue just wasn't strong enough. The magnets kept getting ripped off the phone. What we ended up ding was using a couple strips of Velcro in the same configuration. So far that is working great.

I didn't make it far from Blacksburg. It was cold. There was a strong wind and threatening to rain. So at 5pm as I was riding by a hotel I decided to see if there was a room. There was but it was graduation week at Virginia Tech so the room rates were high, too high. Luckily the hotel manager was there and gave me a room at the normal rate after hearing my its freezing story. On top of that they gave me a fancy room with a hot tub in it. Totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment