Wednesday, May 31, 2017

23 miles of Hills and Hello Kansas

So at the hostel last night I was told by the host and like 4 notes around the building that there was only 23 miles of hills left. After a month of constant climbing and descending with over 95582 ft of up and 94729 ft of down I am done with hills and for the next 600 miles have a total of 5000 ft of up and 4700 ft of down. Its going to be gloriously flat. I'll get bored of it in no time I'm sure but at the end of all that beautiful flat land is going to be the rocky mountains. Not counting the ease of riding on flats I think what I'm really looking forward to not having to freak out every time a car passes me on a blind hill. Every time I'm just waiting for the knee jerk reaction of them swerving out of an oncoming car from the blind hill into me or actually hitting a car on the blind hills. It hasn't happened yet but there have been several close calls.

Anyway turns out flats are easy. Very easy. I was rolling along at 16 mph most of the day. Turns out riding at 16mph on a loaded touring bike on flat ground is actually very tiring. Especially when you run into a head wind. I'm going to have to pace myself in the future but its just so nice and easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment