Monday, May 22, 2017

Storm salvation

Not much to day about the trip to the ER. Got in took 4 hours got a shot and left. So I got on the road around 11 am. Stopped off for a bad all you can eat(AYCE) bbq lunch and cruised through some shady neighborhoods thanks to Google before finally making it out of town.
I wanted to get to the town of Marion which was about 50 miles away. However the thunderstorms and Google had other ideas. Looking at the map it was a simple straight shot along route 56, not too busy with a small shoulder, to get me back on trail. Google in its wisdom decided to put me on some farmers back roads which were rolling hills. I went from averaging 14 mph on the route 56 to 8 on the Google route. Someday I'll learn to ignore Google for biking. But it worked ok in the city, I got out without dying so that counts as ok.
Right after I have up on Google the line of thunderstorms I had been watching all day rolled in. This was a band of orange and red storms which is something I don't want to ride in. Luckily right as it really started to pour and I got soaked through on my front side and was starting to look like a "drowned dog" a Catholic church appeared. There was just enough space under the porch awning to keep me and the bike dry. After about 2 hours of this there was a window in the storm which would let me get to the town of Sebree where a Baptist church ran a free hostel with all the amenities. I rolled up under their awning right as it started to rain again.
I'm not sure if it was riding on the busy highway, the caffeine, the storms, or the long breaks but I made great time. My average mph was 13. Yesterday it was at 10, eastern Kentucky and Virginia was like 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment