Monday, August 24, 2015

Vazquez tunnel to Silverthorne

What a great day. Getting a good nights rest really makes a difference. Of course the scenery helps but I think this king sized bed with a personal hot tub in my room is what is really doing it for me.

So the usual, I got up started hiking had an amazing sunrise and a gorgeous hike along this valley. I get to Jones pass which is my final junction to do grays or Silverthorne. I got no cell reception so my thought of calling Bigfoot, remember him from new Mexico, who is off trail and in Denver to bring me supplies is out of the question so on to Silverthorne.

The next valley is even more beautiful than the last. The last one had some major industrial complexes in the valley marring it's beauty. This one only has a forest service road or two to dilute the natural wonder. I think man the day just can't get better. I climb the pass to the next valley and there is nothing reassembling humans there. No buildings, roads, and hardly even a trail to interfere with the incredible scenery in the valley. The day just keeps getting better and better.

So I climb the next pass and at the top I have 4G signal. I don't know if I've had 4G anywhere on this trip yet and here I am on a pass with no signs of civilization and I have better phone signal than I have at home, interstate 70 and Silverthorne were just 5 miles away down the hill I just couldn't see them. So I check out Facebook and see a post by another hiker that Silverthorne has a Chipotle in it. Now me and a few other hikers had discussed and lamented the fact that there was no Chipotle on trail since hiker hunger would let us decimate a burrito with no problem. Low and behold just 7 miles down hill is a Chipotle. I ran down half that hill, I was hoping to catch the other hikers since I hadn't seen them since Lincoln.

Well I get to Silverthorne and I'm tired and go looking for a hotel room. As I walk past the Quality Inn I decide to see if I can get a free nights stay seeing as I've stayed in a bunch of choice brand hotels on this trip. I call up the choice hotels and see how many points I have, 3850. A night's stay at the quality Inn is 16000. Well that's a no go. Then the agent says hold on let me see if you qualify for any promotions. Yep I qualified for the spring and summer promotions bringing my point total up to 16500! He offers to book my room for me and starts rattling off what the hotel has to offer. He starts with a king room lists its amenities, that I don't really pay attention to since I'm exhausted having hiked 29 miles with 4 2000+ ft climbs, then he starts on the next room. I stop him and say just give me the king that'll be fine. It turns out those amenities that I ignored included a hot tub in the room. Today was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment