Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Grand lake to big rock campground

I really need to get better at getting out of town. I didn't make it out until noon again. The hike was a breeze. I just hiked around lakes all day. There was a section which Ley warned that the blowdowns in a 3 mile section were terrible. A thing of nightmares if you will. Luckily for me they had finally cleared the blowdowns out. It would have been bad if they hadn't but no worse than some sections in Montana. It did still take me a while to hike that section but that was because there were raspberries everywhere.
I made it out of the wilderness and rmnp areas finally, both require permits for camping and got to some public campgrounds. There was supposed to be a little old lady that sells snacks, ice cream and makes baked goods but she's getting on in years and stopped doing that this year. I hadn't heard this and when I asked a local about it he gave me the whole story. He also said if I head to the final campground and talk to the hosts there they'll take me over to a ranch that is trying to take over that little business. I went there and talked to the host, Carl, and he informed me that the ranch was out of ice cream! That was the whole point I had hiked out some really good chocolate chip and macadamia but cookies to eat ice cream with. Carl went in his rv and came out with his wife and ice cream. We ate the whole bag of cookies and pint of ice cream, by we I mean I ate most and they had a cookie and a few scoops. Hurray for trail magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment