Thursday, August 27, 2015

Near copper mtn to Leadville

20 by 2. That's one of those magical hiker numbers that means your going to do a big mile day. My goal was to get 20 by 1. This would put me in Leadville before the storms arrived. I saw them on the radar while I had signal yesterday and they looked nasty. I got up and was hiking by 530.
I made good time crossing the first two passes between me and Leadville. I did get delayed by the beauty of my surroundings and a herd of sheep. But I persevered and didn't have a sheep dog follow me for half a mile barking at my heels this time. I made the halfway point of 10 by 10 but then looking at the sky realized that there were no clouds up there to threaten me. I slowed down then. I even contemplated skipping Leadville all together. That thought didn't last since I had been told by some people way back in silver city that the best pizza on trail was found in Leadville. It was good but I've had better, not on this trail though. I also needed to resupply for the stretch to monarch crest and had been told the resupply in twin lakes wasn't good, turns out it was a perfect resupply but that's getting ahead of the story.
I made it to the pass to Leadville but not until 230. I got distracted by some cool ruins and history stuff. I had pizza in town and stayed at the local hostel, which was amazing btw. Did my resupply and waited for the big storms to show, they never did. It seems that Breckenridge where I was looking at the weather did get hit but the storms stayed north of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment