Friday, August 14, 2015

Mile 1247 to south pass city

So I got up and was hiking by 530 thinking I had to meet my sister in south pass city by 5 pm with 28 miles of hiking to do. Turns out I'm bad at math. I was thinking I'd meet her on the 8th at 5 pm. I left town at on the first and had 7 days of hiking to get to south pass. 1 + 7 = 8 right. Wrong I stated hiking on the 1st. So the 1 should have been included in the 7 days. So when I got enough reception to send my sister a txt saying I'd be in town at 5 pm she was confused thinking I'd be there tomorrow. Woops. Luckily she was able to come out today so all I had to do was hike 28 miles by 5 pm. Easy I had it done by 4.

It was almost all downhill and over half was on jeep track. With just a few miles of crosscountry find the next trail sign. After losing the signs for the third time I just hiked the road right next to it and to hell with stupid ranchers. There were several times I had to hike a mile or two out of my way to avoid the checker board private lands, so annoying.

I did the tour around south pass city which was a cute old 1900s mining town. The preservation society had done a fantastic job of maintaining the town.

My sister showed up around 6 due to some traffic but she had my bicycle. We stopped by Atlantic City and said hi to iceman, handstands, and machine gun and I managed to get a picture of the bike route from some bike packers. That was a trip saver. We were going to head to lander since there was nowhere to stay in town but on our way out we passed a blm campground with 1 slot left. I so stayed there instead of doing the 30 mile trip from lander.

No comments:

Post a Comment