Monday, August 24, 2015

Trail creek to Saddle near mile 1537

Another day I don't recall much of. I know I went through the mount Zirkle wilderness and there were lots of sheep.  That's the main reason I'm keeping this daily blog. It's only been about two weeks after I did this hike and I can only clearly remember a bit in the afternoon where there were some thunderstorms and the sheep. I have the pictures and they are gorgeous but I don't recall the morning at all.
The afternoon though that I remember. I was hiking along the west side of the divide when out of nowhere I start getting hailed on. I am trying to figure out why since it was sunny. There was this Congo line of dark clouds about a quarter mile wide that went off all the way to the western horizon that had to be the source. Honestly I found it strange how there was just this one congo line of clouds and blue skies everywhere else. The next 9 miles was going to be up on a ridge but it looked like I could just hike past the clouds and be fine. There was no more precipitation until I camped but boy did those clouds get angry once they crossed the divide. They got out of their Congo formation and turned into massive thunder clouds on the eastern side of the divide. It was really cool. Here I was walking along in blue skies and sunshine and just a mile or two away was this intense thunderstorm raging. I kept hiking until I hit a saddle where another cloud Congo line was on the southern side of the saddle. I setup my tent there in a tiny patch of trees since I could hear thunder coming from them and I would still be exposed under them. It was a fantastic camp spot. I had a great view of the lightning flashing in the valley to my east.

No comments:

Post a Comment