Saturday, August 15, 2015

Mile 1537 to rabbit ears pass

Survived the storm last night but had 5 extra miles to hike to get into town. The view from my saddle was very nice for the sunrise but the place I had planned to camp would have been better. It was a sheer cliff with an unobstructed view to the east. Ah well I got to see it a couple hours after sunrise so it was still fantastic just not as amazing for the photos.

Right around there I got a little spooked. After last night's storm I was a bit sensitive to thunder. So while I was hiking and suddenly there is the sound of thunder on a perfectly clear blue sky I get a little skittish. Turns out I had snuck up in a herd of about 40 elk and they got spooked within 30 yards of me. That's a unique sound. 40 600+ pound animals sprinting away from you as fast as possible. Very cool.

Not much to say about the hike, nice easy rolling hills no big climbs with a bit of down towards the end to get to rabbit ears pass. I did get worried for a few minutes when I saw some smoke rising out of a valley ahead of me but a quick map check showed a car campground there.

Steamboat was a bit less entertaining this time as the entire town was getting heated up for a major bike race coming through town over the weekend. That meant almost all the hotel rooms were booked and I had to spend a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment