Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Mile 1198 to Shadow Creek

I almost cowboy camped last night but there were a couple mosquitoes flying around bothering me. Then right after I crawled into my sleeping bag Bigfoot noticed lightning off on the horizon, so I setup my fly too. It didn't rain last night but this morning it did, love it when that happens. The rain made it a later start than I had wanted, if I covered 28 miles today I'd be camped at a lake one mile short of the big pass leading into the other big highlight of the winds, the Cirque de Towers. Unlike yesterday I was not noticing the altitude today, guess my body adjusted already. The hiking was also much easier with fewer pointless ups and downs. Of course the other hikers, scenery, and terrain did slow me down. Surprisingly my cough didn't act up at all. In case I didn't mention it the scenery up here is fantastic, I'd highly recommend getting up here if you can.
I ended up covering 26 miles before a big storm blew in. Rather than keep hiking knowing that it'd blow over I decided to setup my tent. Unlike all the other times I setup my tent where I put my footprint down then put stakes in it, I decided to setup my footprint with my rain-fly in it so I could properly position it for the wind. Bad idea. I can get my tent setup in about 30 seconds after staking out the footprint, but with the wind blowing my fly and footprint all over the place it took almost 10 minutes to get it setup. By that point the fly and the footprint were completely soaked and I had to dry it off with my bandanna before I could set my tent up and put everything in it. Of course by that time the storm had blown over, sigh. Off to bed with a big 25 mile day over the Cirque de Towers tomorrow, its going to be epic.

No comments:

Post a Comment