Friday, July 31, 2015

Two oceans medow to mile 1096

Cold. That's what this morning was cold. I left my water outside the tent and there were big ice chunks in it. Thankfully I had brought my filter in or I might have had to replace it. The Sawyer filters break if they freeze. The entire medow valley was covered in frost. I didn't feel this cold in new Mexico even though it was colder temperature wise. Still the cold air made for some great hiking and amazing scenery as the sun melted the frost covered plants.
It was another easy day of hiking with half the day following, as Ley calls it, the horse super highway. The trail was obviously very popular with the horse packers. With sections of it 10 yards wide or 7 lanes across. Beads made the comment that it makes sense that wilderness areas are popular with horse packers since there are no motors or bikes to spook the animals.
After that we headed along the beautiful buffalo river. I was told this section was boring and just a connector between Yellowstone and the winds. That is so wrong. Except for the lack of geysers this Bridger wilderness blows Yellowstone out of the park. We camped a bit earlier than we'd have liked due to my bearanoia. There was a researcher mauled by a grizzly last year near here and they never caught the bear. They aren't letting people camp at the campground where it happened in tents and recommend we stay at least 10 miles away. Surprise surprise we are camped 11 miles away and I've hung the food for the first time since glacier.

No comments:

Post a Comment