Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Gibbons pass to Darby

Beads and I got up early and were hiking by 615. Turns out we finally made it to Idaho, according to Papi we have also hiked more than half the trail. Time to celebrate.
The hitch into Darby was supposed to be really hard. We figured with 7 of us sitting on the side of the road it would be even harder so we left early to improve our chances. I guess we were lucky cause the second car picked us up. She dropped beads off in sula, a little resort on the way to Darby, and took me too Darby.
After resupplying and eating breakfast I had the afternoon to waste. I had had a great apple cider in Missoula from Montana Ciderworks which was based in Darby. I went to the local liquor store and the lady there helped me get in touch with the cidery. Turns out it was a one person operation and I told her I was a hiker  looking for a tour. Boy did that ever work, she is also a hiker in the process of section hiking the PCT and was currently packing to leave tomorrow to go hike the Sierra section. I told her never mind about the tour since she was obviously way to busy to give us one, but she said we are absolutely getting a tour and she was even heading up to sula so she could grab beads. So Beads, Papi and I got a personal tour of the cidery. I had no idea that valley used to be a major apple producing area. Beads had all kinds of questions for our host, Lee, since she did some home cider making. Beads made it sound so easy, get cider, add champagne yeast, wait 5 days, while Lee told us stories about how much time and effort it takes to turn out a consistent product. Whatever she does it works, she let us try 5 different ciders and they were all fantastic. Turns out I prefer the new world cider to the traditional British style. Basically the traditional style uses red apples has a earthy horsey smell to it. While the new world uses apples found in America like macintosh, which was my favorite.
We got back to town and Papi really wanted to go spend the night at the hot springs. We hitched a ride there and spent the rest of the day soaking in hot springs. All in all it was a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment