Sunday, May 10, 2015

Snow lake to cox canyon

I lingered in camp and didn't get moving till 745. I was still tired from yesterday but I have 20 miles to the next good water. On top of that I need to average 21 miles a day to stay on schedule. So I reluctantly started hiking. With the reception of a 2 mile cross country hike all day today is on road. That means quick miles, in theory at least. Turns out quick miles are a no go with my ankle. Any time I tried going more than 2.5 mph it would start hurting. It wasn't noticeable if I just hiked slower.

Other than the cross country section which sent me up a canyon the day was pretty uneventful. Around noon I got really sleepy but couldn't find a good spot for a siesta. Towards the afternoon my feet stated to hurt from all the gravel. I also got a blister due to having a different walking style with the shin splints.

I eventually called it an early day at 530 having already covered my 21 miles. I was worn out and the water in the canyon started to dry up. I didn't feel like dealing with filtering water as tired as I was so I just setup camp and gonna get to bed early.

Unfortunately my dinner turned out poorly. I tried making my own rice dish using sushi rice, with chicken bouillon and lemon seasoning from home. When I tried it out at home it came out ok. A few bits of rice weren't fully cooked but it was tasty. Out here though, due to the temperature or altitude it didn't fully cook. The outside was good but the inside was crunchy. I was only able to eat half of it. Ah well I have at least 2 more of those so hopefully it comes out better next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment