Sunday, May 24, 2015

San Pedro peak to mile 680

It snowed until midnight putting down about 3 inches. I was alright but another hiker had his tent break on him. The hike in the morning was cold. The boggy water had a nice ice layer on it and combined with the snow I didn't have to walk through it like yesterday. But when my feet did get wet from a stream crossing or something they froze. I'm probably going to have to find another pair of socks that are a bit warmer if the hiking is going to be like that in the future.

It took us until lunch time to cover the 10 miles off the hill. There was a lot of downed trees and navigation slowed us town. Once we got below the snow line things sped up. The hike was beautiful as northern New Mexico has been. We even found a perfect spring gushing out gallons of water a minute.

Water wasn't an issue but I was packing less than I should have. There was one point where we had planned to get water from a seasonal stream, we figured with all the rain it would be good, but it was dry. So we had to hike an extra 3 miles with all of us out of water. There was water around, in the road tire tracks icky,  if we really needed it but we were all well hydrated and it was only 3 extra downhill miles. Which we made with ease.

I decided to camp there instead of hiking on the additional 5 miles I planned. My legs were tired from dodging all the trees, snow, and climbs. I thought I was in hiking shape but Colorado is looking more intimidating by the minute. I have 15 miles to hike in the morning to get to ghost ranch. They serve breakfast and lunch which I won't make but that means I can take my time and stroll in for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment