Monday, May 18, 2015

Laguna de cosme to Mesa near mile 603

Today totally makes up for yesterday. It was warm, but not hot, plenty of water, amazing views everywhere, and my shin splints felt as good as ever. I guess the strain I put on them yesterday didn't effect them.

The hike started out pretty but boring with more road walking. After a few miles we came upon some water pools from yesterday's storm. I thought these were 10 miles behind me so I was pretty happy to see them. I was expecting another 7 miles or so on my one liter of water. The water was nice and cold. We had to break a thin layer of ice to get it. I filtered it but Focus drank it straight from the pools. The water was fresh but who knows what's in the rock pools before the water hit there.

The next bit was more road walking before we went up a Mesa. Which was beautiful and easy. When we got to the end of the Mesa there was a great view of the surrounding area as well as where we'd be hiking for the next few days. It was just Mesa and valleys for miles then a small mountain range with some big snow capped mountains peaking out from behind it. Hello Colorado. Down in the valley were some really neat weathered peaks that looked like giant blobs of clay being shaped on a pottery wheel.

At the bottom of the Mesa was a spring to grab our next bit of water. The spring had an interesting note about it in the Ley maps. The note said there was quick sand in the area but that we'd have to find it ourselves since it'd be more fun that way. It wasn't hard to find. The spring was surrounded by it. There was one way in to it with dry sand so we could fill up with some fresh super silty spring water.

From the we hiked a few more miles to the next Mesa where we almost lost the trail. Right before we called it a day I saw this nice little Mesa which had a great view of the valley and I said jokingly that we should just hike up there and call it a day. Little did we know the trail branched and went straight up it. Luckily for us the hikers in front of us had missed the turn and were backtracking to find it. When we got up to I said I was going to camp there since it was such a nice spot. Bigfoot, Focus, and Mountainspice joined me but Nightcrawler and Moist decided to hike on. They wanted to get to town in 2 days instead of 2.5. The camp spot was fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment