Saturday, May 23, 2015

Mesa Portales to Cuba

What a storm. It was booming and lighting up the tent all night. I was kept awake until 1045 by it. I eventually managed to get to sleep and slept whole night.

In the morning the storm had passed but left mud in it's wake. It wasn't the mud I was used to. Most mud is slippery but doesn't stick to things. This stuff just caked on. It got so bad that when I tried to bang the mud of my trekking poles it wouldn't come off since the mud was absorbing the impact. I remember thinking when hiking some of these trails and roads that they are great dry but when it rains it would be hell. I was right. It didn't help that my shoes were worn out, not that they had traction to begin with but this was a bit crazy. I was slipping so much that there was a 20 yard slope that I skid down on my shoes. The rest of the walk into town was more of the same mud, Mesas, and rain.

When I got to town I grabbed a quick bite to eat at the local restaurant. Then headed over to the local motel where all the hikers were hanging. I stayed there until 530 when Nectar showed up and took me and Bigfoot to Albuquerque.

The next day was a zero in Albuquerque where I got new shoes, gaiters, and resupply.

No comments:

Post a Comment