Friday, May 29, 2015

Ghost Ranch to 1 mile past Harris Bear Spring

I had a relatively late start getting out of Ghost Ranch. I wanted to get out after breakfast but it was cold and raining. After looking at the weather forecast I saw that it was going to stop by noon so I just hung out until then.

The hike out of Ghost Ranch was nice. I hiked out with the guys I camped with last night, Chimichanga, Chilton, Memphis, and we were joined by Sanjay(pronounced Sunjay). We went up the box canyon located behind the ranch so we had some really nice views of it the whole way up. About halfway up the canyon the guys took a wrong turn and ended up taking an alternate. I was slightly behind them since I was going slow to keep control of my cough so I ended up losing them for a few miles while I was on the trail and they were on the alternate. I'm not sure who got the better end of it since I had a really nice view from the top of the canyon but they had much less mud. Yes it was very muddy, that nasty New Mexican mud that just sticks to your shoes and makes them heavy and slippery. I met up with them again up at the first water source after the ranch, they went a bit farther but were able to go faster without the mud. Right before I met up with them I ran into the Maine Man again. I had run into him outside of pie town where he had developed shin splints and gave him some of my KT tape. I hadn't seen him since, the tape seemed to have really helped. He had taken the same alternate as the guys and was turned around at the top of the mountain and I straightened him out. He decided to hike with us since he just had a map and compass and it was much easier to use the phones and gps.

The rest of the day was basically more of the same, trudging through the mud and getting a few showers here and there. When we got to the Harris Bear Spring it was a flowing great from a pipe into a cow trough but the water was slightly brown. I have never seen brown spring water so I treated it. The Maine Man camped there while the rest of us went on a bit more to find a nice dry spot. We found a great spot on the top of a hill in an aspen grove. It had an amazing sunset that I took a bunch of pictures of.

No comments:

Post a Comment