Friday, May 15, 2015

Bonita canyon to grants

I had 20 miles to get to town so i got up early and was hiking by 615. My best yet. The first 8 miles was in a nice wide open grassy canyon which deserved the name Bonita after that lava field. The hiking was easy with great views of of the surrounding Mesas. The day was cool and overcast so I made great time. I got to the turn to Zuni canyon by 9 am. That meant I'd hit my first 10 by 10 of the trip. If I kept it up I'd have a 20 by 2 and be in town. That's the pace I'd need to do to get 30+ miles in a day. My shin started to get sore after 15 miles but with town calling I just hiked on. Even though I was going fast another hiker caught me and we did the last bit into town by 130. It felt good to hike like that after being slow and crippled for so long.

Zuni canyon was even prettier than Bonita in it's own way. I was walking between two big Mesas worth some great coloring. It was just like the Gila but with a gravel road instead of a river.

On the way to the hotel in town there was a guy selling beef jerky and needing to resupply I stopped by to grab some. It was unlike any I'd had before. It seems the locals around here prefer their jerky to be completely dried out until it become hard like a chip. I wasn't a fan but he had some great flavors. He also had a few flavors done in a style closer to what I'm familiar with and I got 2 bags of it since it was way better than anything a store has. Much leaner with almost no salt and nicer thin slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment