Sunday, June 2, 2013

Gear Changes


I decided to change some of my gear around after driving and camping in it. I'm ditching my alpaca for sweater as my warm layer since it got really heavy and stinky when wet and picked up a patagoinia nanofiber jacket per Sean and Heather's recommendation. I'm also ditching my summer sleeping bag since it was not warm enough when I tried it on the road, I picked up a Western Mountaineering Megalite bag to replace it once I get warmer temps. Malia and Heather got me a Titanium pot so I'm switching to that and ordered a caldera cone stove from traildesigns.com to use instead of the catfood can stove. I am also going to try Columbia's new "Omni-Freeze-Zero" long sleeve shirt. It is supposed to have some stuff added to it that reacts with sweat to help cool you down. If it works that'll be great for the really hot months but I'm skeptical. I found a hat from Outdoor Research which is almost as comfortable as my tilley hat while being lighter and more compactable so I'm going to be using that. The only other thing I added was a MSR Hyperflow filter, I'm still keeping the Aquamira as backups but I decided I prefer the taste of water without the drops and the faster access to purified water the filter provides over waiting for the drops to work. We'll see if I decide at some point that the extra 8oz of weight is no longer worth those preferences.

No comments:

Post a Comment