Friday, June 21, 2013

Day 8


Day 8: The Day started out interesting. Lost decided to make coffee first thing in the
morning and reached over the stove without paying attention to where his right arm(the
bad one) was and caught his jacket on fire. Firefox had to yell at him twice before he
noticed that it was on fire. Nerve damage is a bad thing� The worst part of the situation
is Lost was borrowing another hiker�s $250 down jacket for the night and that is what
caught fire. So now Lost had to give the guy the money to replace it. Surprisngly enough
the day started out perfect. It was sunny and warm. I was finally able to get a view of
Katahdin for the first time after climbing it. I�m jealous of the north bounders cause their
whole hike up they can see their finish line getting closer and closer. Springer mountain
in Georgia is just another mountain unlike Katahdin which stands apart from and looms
over all the other mountains in the area. The boots haven�t caused any issues since I did
my surgery on them. I�m rather disappointed in my hiking poles at this point. The strap
on the pole I lent to Lost broke on him within the first 30 minutes of him using it and
dropped him into a bog. It wasn�t even the flimsy rope but the stitching in the leather of
the strap that broke. My right hand pole snapped in half on me today. I slipped down a
rock and put a little weight on the pole and next thing I know I�m on the ground and it�s
broken. I�m going to write and angry letter to black diamond when I get internet access
and see if they will fix/replace them. If not I�m going to bad mouth the poles through all
the remaining 2000 miles of my through hike. Oh to keep with the theme, it rained�
Positive Thought of the Day: For sunny days, when there are those that hiked
yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment