Thursday, June 29, 2017

Storm dodging

Back to the ride again! One of the main reasons I was taking time off in Ennis is the big pass once you leave it. So I wanted to have the cold beat and coughing under control before starting. Mission accomplished. There was still a little coughing but a cough drop quickly got it under control.

When I was about a mile from the top I stopped at a scenic point. When looking uphill to the pass I saw this bright yellow thing on the road. Since it wasn't moving I decided it was a road sign of some sort. Nope it was the britts and flag wearing Americans. One of the Americans had a tire blow and was replacing it. Luckily someone in the group had a spare or he would have had to hitch to Dillon to get a new one.

We cruised over the pass and down to a little town where we got inside right as it started to rain. The others had breakfast while I just lurked before going to the next town 5 miles away that had a bakery for breakfast. Once again I got inside right as it started to rain. Instead of going for the lemon bars they were known for I tried out their newest concoction which was a lemon bar combined with a strudel. The pastry to filling ratio was off and slightly over cooked but for a first attempt at a new dish I had to give it a thumbs up.

Next up we cruised 10 miles or so into a headwind into the town of three rivers/forks/something where we did a 160 degree turn and headed back up the far end of the valley to the town of Dillon. This time we had a tailwind and we were cruising. The others went to stealth camp in a graveyard while I decided to get another motel room since I'm still recovering. Glad I did cause they had mouse issues with one of their tents getting a hole in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment