Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Most difficult day

Today sucked. By far the hardest riding conditions of the trip. We had to do 80 miles to get to Dubois with only one convienece store at mile 30. The rest of the way was Indian reservation land with no stopping. We were going uphill all day and there was a strong headwind, like 15mph constant with 30+ gusts.

We tried drafting which actually was easier  than anytime in the past since it was a headwind rather than a crosswind for once. But with my hamstring I had a hard time keeping up. I'd fall off just a pedal or two but couldn't burst hard without straining the hamstring to catch up. At which point the headwind would hit and I'd lose the draft. This was the closest I've been to hitching into town.  If the guys hadn't been there slowing down and letting me draft I wouldn't have made it.

We were so tired that when we reached the beautiful canyon before Dubois that was exactly like Bryce canyon we barely took any time to admire it. Seeing that canyon made me truly appreciate our national park system. Cause here was a canyon with the same coloring, rock formations, and beauty as bryce canyon but it was ruined by these big ugly houses. These houses were built all over the cliffs just totally detracting from the gorgeous scenery. But thanks to the parks system we have places like Bryce canyon that haven't been destroyed by millionaires and billionaires wanting exclusive rights to it. Anyway if you pass by the canyons are worth visiting even with the eyesores.

We did make it but we were all extremely dehydrated. Keith and Jim each drank 2 pitchers of water at dinner and I had one. None of us got up in the night to pee.

No comments:

Post a Comment