Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Earthquakes and tailwinds

I got up feeling much better. Only coughing a little and no sore throat. So instead of taking a zero in the campground with its huge temperature swings I decided to ride on.

It was chilly again, so much so that I stopped at a fishing resort to warm up with some coffee and a giant pancake breakfast. Next up was a tour around earthquake lake. Back in the 50s there was an earthquake and landslide here that ended up damming the river causing flooding and a few deaths. The landslide is really impressive. A giant chunk of the mountain just came off and slid down into the valley below. It's still damming the river but is getting eroded slowly. The lake it created still has dead trees sticking up out of it. The best part of it for me is they were repaving the road around the entire lake so I had 10 miles of brand new road all to myself except for when the cars from one side or the other would pass by.

After leaving the lake I had 50 miles of a downhill grade following the Madison river to the town of Ennis. This might be the easiest ride yet. The entire way had a good shoulder, well not counting the 10 miles or so that they put rumble strips in the shoulder, and there was a nice strong tailwind. I wasn't pedalling hard, I know cause I wasn't triggering any coughing, and was averaging over 17mph. When I finished the day my average was at 14.6 which includes my slow roll around earthquake lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment