Friday, June 9, 2017

Racing to Ness city

After a light breakfast and a quick stop at a fantastic coffee shop we got on the road. There were very limited options for resupply today so everyone was carrying a little extra weight but it didn't matter. We had a tailwind and the terrain was the easiest yet. Shortly after we left town I hit the 2000 mile mark.

There were two points of interest on today's route, the Santa Fe trail historical center and Fort Larned. Unfortunate the historical center was closed but the fort was open. It is the best preserved fort in the west. Except for some names carved into the stone walls it was in really good shape. We had free run of the place and had our own tour guide.

After wasting a couple hours there we got back on the road. Thanks to the ease of the road we started cruising along at 15mph. At 15mph Alex and I were soon left in the dust. We could see Bobby about 200 yards in front of us and the other two about a half mile away. Alex says to me let's go catch up to Bobby. I agree and we are now doing 18mph and gaining on Bobby until we get about 10 yards away. At this point Bobby starts going faster so we can't catch him. I eventually caught him after hitting 22mph but Alex never did. Bobby and I were now within range of Jim and Keith so we decided to go catch them and start a game of tag. Catching those two were much easier as we didn't have to push too hard before tagging Jim. At this point I was tired so I just settled in drafting off Jim and Keith while Bobby kept going.

A few minutes later Keith says lets catch up to Bobby who is now about 40 yards ahead of us. He starts pushing hard to catch up with Jim and I drafting behind. Bobby sees us coming and stays just far enough ahead of Keith so he can't catch up. When Keith finally gives up I go. I'm pedalling harder than I have all trip and slowly gaining on Bobby. Right when my legs are burning so much that I'm about to give up I catch him. I didn't have a chance to see how fast I was going. But now I was resting at 20.

We kept this resting pace up for another 10 minutes before Jim started gaining on us. So off to the races again. Another 10 minutes later Jim started fading so we slowed down and let him catch up. At this point we were basically at town. 

1 comment: