Thursday, April 16, 2015

My trail to lordsburg

What a day. Definitely hiked too far today I'm completely wiped out. I tried to cowboy camp last night it seemed like a perfect night for. The stars down here a bright and beautiful. My cowboy camping went really well and I had a nice sleep going until about 11. That's when a coyote walking down the trail caught scent of me and decided to all it's buddies know. That woke me up in a heartbeat. Nothing like a wild animal yelling at the top of its lungs a hundred feet from you to get the blood pumping. I eventually managed to calm down and went back to sleep. That is until it decided to rain on me. It wasn't much of a rain I think that if I had just ignored it and went back to sleep I would have been fine. But, I have a nice down bag that I'd rather keep dry. Thankfully my tent is designed by some really smart ppl. They made it so you can setup the rainfly with just the footprint. Since i already had the footprint down and staked it only took 30 seconds to get the fly up. The rest of the night was uneventful.

As you recall I had only a liter and a half of water left with one of those liters being that cow funk water. With that in mind I got up and started hiking early so I could try make the next water source before it got too hot. I totally made it, no cow funk for me yet. The water at this source was exactly as advertised, cool clean well water.

At this point I was feeling great I only had 14 miles to go to hit town, full of delecious water and what looked like a nice easy 12 mile flat crosscountry how. I decided to go for town. I cameled up, that means I drank until I couldn't drink anymore, and loaded up with 4 liters of water, which have me 1 liter per 4 miles, more than enough. Turns out it want going to be that easy. Once I got out of the mountains and onto the crosscountry stretch I ran into a big 20+ mph headwind. On the one hand it was nice since it kept me cool and I didn't take a siesta to avoid the heat. On every other hand it sucked. I was already going to be nearing the limits of the distance I could hike in a day at my current fitness level. Adding in that headwind definitely added more effort than I was ready for. I did eventually make it to town but I was completely wiped out. I also think I ended up dehydrated somehow. I'm not sure if I was my pee was a nice hydrated color but when I got to the hotel I wasn't able to get enough saliva to spit. Ah well I'm a day ahead of schedule so I'm going to take tomorrow off and recover. I learned that I'm currently able to hike 15 to 17 miles comfortably but 22+(what my phone said I hiked yesterday based on my step count) is too much still.


Fun stats from fitbit:

steps taken: 143917

Miles hiked: 63.12

floors climbed: 560

From my phone:

steps taken: 97543

Miles hiked: 42.9

Actual miles hiked: 55


No comments:

Post a Comment