Sunday, April 12, 2015

CDT Trail Maintenance

For the final day of kickoff they take volunteers it to do some maintenance on a section of the trail. When I hiked the AT I stayed at Bob Peoples, an AT trail legend who does a lot of trail maintenence in Tennessee, place and heard his stories about the annual AT kickoff, Trail Days, where they tale groups of hikers to do trail maintenance I've wanted to do that as well. What Bob described boils down to doing trail maintenance makes you have a greater connection with the trail and when you home the section that you did work on you get this great feeling of accomplishment. So I was pretty happy when I saw the CDT was adding this tradition to their trail. I signed up to give them a hand. There was a really good turn out. Considering it's the CDT we still had over 20 people show up to volunteer. I took a shovel and dug water drainage ditches to funnel water away from the trail. We only covered a three mile section of the trail but the were some areas in need of the maintenence.

I'm back in my hotel room got all the supplies I need to hike south to lordsburg tomorrow so I'll be heading out in the morning. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow's hike since it will be 16 miles of road walking but I am very excited to actually being my hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment