Tuesday, April 21, 2015

3rd water cache to 2nd

Another 20ish miles to go to get to water. The aren't really many other options in this section. The is a good source at 7 miles but it's in a timer which hasn't been figured out yet, so if you get there at the wrong time your drinking from a cow pond.

The hike was very nice I started out with some rolling hills before going down a valley to a dirt road. In the valley the CDT goes up this pointless hill 300 ft up a bare exposed hill only to go right back down. I chose to not go up it and stay in the river wash below. Definitely the right choice since the wash was easy hiking with shade trees! After that was a bit more cross country until I hit the water source on a timer. I was lucky enough to get it when the water was flowing so I quickly drank a liter than filled it right back up. I probably didn't have to treat it since it was will water but I did anyway.

The next stretch was a few miles on a jeep track road over some rolling hills. Pretty boring but good for listening to audio books. About halfway down the road I start to hear the buzzing of a lot of bees. Makes sense since there are yellow flowers everywhere. So I start looking all around trying to find them. The whole time the buzzing is getting louder. I don't see them to my left and start searching the right, as my eyes cross the road I notice some bee shadows on it. A lot of bee shadows. A crazy amount of bee shadows. I look up and directly above me is an entire swarm of bees. It Was Amazing! They had flown off by the time I got my phone out but that was way cooler than a swarm sitting on the side of the road.

The rest of the hike was pretty uneventful. I did run into another hiker that said there was a dead cow at the next water tank. I didn't go check it out since there were a lot of cows around and I had plenty of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment