Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Lordsburg to miller tank road

Not the greatest start I've had. I got out of the hotel room by 635, I wanted to see if the shuttle had space and it was supposed to leave at 630. One of the vans had left but the other was still around, no space of course.

After that I tried grabbing breakfast but the guy using the waffle iron before me didn't spray it with no stick so it was or of commission for 30 minutes, so I ended up eating a bagel and apple danish. Which is fine but I'll be eating bagels and apple nutrigrain for the next 4 days.

To males things even better after about a quarter mile down the road out of town I dropped my Sawyer water filter on the asphalt and it shattered. Not a huge deal since I still have my aquamira drops to purify the water but that only sterilizers the water it doesn't get the nasty cow funk out. I still had 3g so I quickly ordered another one from amazon and will have it delivered to the hotel for me to pick up on my way back through lordsburg. I'm going to try hike the water caches which are 20 or 13 miles apart. That way I don't have to drink any cow funk yet.

Compared to the last stretch into lordsburg the hiking was easy. Next thing I knew I had done 15 miles and decided to take a long break since every mile after was bonus. Surprisingly enough I still had 3g signal and checked my email. Good thing I did to. I had planned on taking a nice comfortable pace of 15ish miles a day and get to the border on the 22nd. According to the email I just got that was one of the days the shuttle didn't run! That meant I could either hike 20 miles a day and get there on the 21st or slow down and get there on the 23rd. I had enough food to do either since I packed an extra day incase I missed the shuttle and had to hike 13 miles out to the nearest road. Based on how I was feeling I thought I could do the 20 miles a day. If I didn't make it I could hike back up to the road and hitch.

So I hiked another 5 miles across the open plain and finally found a spot sheltered from the wind before calling it a day. I could probably kept going but the didn't look like anywhere would be better shelter from the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment