Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Day 96

Another big day planned. We were going to do a 23.9 which would be the longest day RJ had done yet. I got walking a bit earlier then RJ and before he caught up to me I ran into what I thought was a deaf and dumb deer. It was just sitting in the middle of the trail completely ignoring me until I got within 10 ft. Then it finally acknowleges me and meanders off the trail where it starts nibbling at the trees.
 Turns out it wasn't deaf or dumb it just realized there was a much more dangerous creature around. About 20 yards down trail I run into a Momma bear and her 3 cubs. While momma is deciding if it is worth it to eat me and feed me to her cubs RJ comes along at which point she moseys down to the tree where 2 of the cubs climbed up and hugs the bottom. I have now seen 7 more bears then I wanted to.
The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. The shelter we stayed at was full of section hikers so I ended up tenting for the first time since the Bar in PA. I also slept much better but I'm not sure if that was due to the tent or the mileage.

No comments:

Post a Comment