Wednesday, June 18, 2014

June 9th 673 to kern river

I left my food bag out of my tent last night, which was a bad idea. The ants git in and got all over my cheese. Not a big deal since I had more than enough food but I haven't had cheese in a while since the desert is so hot.
I had to hike 8 miles on a half litre of water since I dry camped last night without planning to. It wasn't bad since it was almost all downhill. When I got to the water real time, who I had hiked with out of little bear spring, was sitting there relaxing. He had an extra day to waste while waiting for a package at Kennedy medows so he was going to take it easy. Which meant he was doing a 20 mile day to the kern river. I wasn't planning on going that far but there was a huge burned area with no water or places to camp so I ended up going there also. We split up at lunch time since he didn't think it was that hot, and it wasn't while there were trees. But I could see the burnt area and decided to wait. Turns out I was right. The burnt area sucked. It was an easy 10 mile downhill but with no shade and water it was not pleasant. I was definitely ready to be done with the desert after that. I made it to the river which was rather disappointing. The area that was near the trail for water was a beaver pool. Very gross. But I was out of water so I double treated a litre and set up camp. I didn't see real time so I assumed he just did the 3 extra miles to Kennedy medows.

No comments:

Post a Comment