Saturday, June 7, 2014

June 3rd 605 to bird spring pass rd

Tried getting up before the sun since it was supposed to be a really hot dry stretch so I wanted to get as many miles in as I could. That didn't work cause it was cold, stupid desert can't make up its mind.
I eventually made it to the spring and filled up enough water to make it through the next 12 mile stretch without water. The next water source was a 3.4 mile off trail hike where I would miss 2 miles of the PCT. When I got to the detour it was a no brainer, there was no shade anywhere in sight except for that spring. The hike down to the spring started out fun with 2 boulder scrambles that were similar to the mahoosuc notch. The spring was flowing nicely in a fenced off area, but the shade was lacking. There was barely enough room for 6 and there was about 15 people there by the time I left. We got nice and cozy.

I left around 330 and it was still blazing hot. The hike sucked. The first few miles when I got back to the trail was in deep sand. It then went uphill while still in deep sand. Then I get to the top and the deep sand is broken up only because the trail went washboard. The washboard was about 10 feet apart so you had to walk up and down each little hill and this went on for miles. I eventually reached a road and looked up at a 2000 ft climb and called it a day. The only fun part of that stretch was when I walked right past a Mojave green rattlesnake. The most poisonous and aggressive of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment