Friday, September 4, 2015

Silverthorne to a few miles south of Copper mtn

So I took a zero in Breckenridge. There is a nice hostel there where I spent the night in the cheap. I needed the day to get my box for monarch pass ready. I also sent home everything except the bare essentials. My pack is so nice and light right now.

The weather is supposed to be really nasty today and even worse tomorrow afternoon. Taking this into consideration along with the fact that I don't really like hiking when cold and wet I decided to take yet another shortcut. There is a 15 mile bike path from Silverthorne to copper mountain. The CDT is 20 miles but is up and down the whole way. I decided that if I'd hike the bike path and get moving early tomorrow I could get into Leadville before the storms got bad.

The hike along the path was nice. There were restrooms every 5 miles or so and it went right through the town of Frisco where I stopped for lunch. Once I got to copper mountain I grabbed some dinner to go from the local Mexican place and hiked on. I did another 5 miles or so before camping between two passing thunderstorms.

No comments:

Post a Comment