Thursday, September 10, 2015

Rock Creek to Winfield

Perfect morning not a cloud in sight. This is Colorado's attempt to get me to climb a 14er. Not just any 14er but Mt. Elbert the biggest mountain in the state and only a few feet shorter that Whitney. But it's not going to work. I decided not to do any 14ers and I'm sticking to it even if it is perfect weather to climb Elbert. I successfully managed to avoid climbing the mountain but only because I didn't have enough water.
After a little while I came to the cute little community of twin lakes. The lakes were gorgeous and everyone in the town was extremely friendly and helpful. They really want the hiker business there. After a bite to eat at the local food truck, they only place to eat, and some cold goodies from the store I headed on. The trail went 12 miles around the east side of the two lakes but there was an alternate that went just 2 miles of roadwalking to a bridge that took me across the west side. Guess which way I went.
After climbing over the southern mountains of the twin lakes valley I headed down the next valley. It was getting late and I started looking for a camp spot. The trail was along a steep valley cliff and there were only about one camp spot a mile. They were all taken by Colorado trail hikers! It got dark and still nowhere to camp. I eventually had to headlamp my way down to the valley bottom taking a side trail. Well that didn't work cause the valley bottom was all private property. Ah well I followed the road up to where the CDT crosses it and camped there. Along the way I walked past yet another ghost town. Not quite as well taken care of as south pass city but a nice ghost town regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment