Saturday, June 27, 2015

Mosquito lake to My lake

The hike up the pass in the morning was not a problem. The snow that was present already had steps kicked in and none of it was dangerous enough to take my ice axe out for. I did use my micro spikes because they just make walking on snow nicer.

It was another beautiful day and we got another tip from more rangers about our route. For having only 5 crew for each ranger district we have been running into them a lot. This time they suggested a camp spot called My lake. We'd have to go up an extra pass today but they said there was no snow and it was the best camping in the area. We mostly stayed low in the valley so we didn't get many views but the forest was very nice. The odd part was we saw no animals. A chipmunk or squirrel but that was it. We did see a lot of stream crossings and I even got up close and personal with one when I slipped crossing it. A wet shirt and pant leg but no harm done. It was actually nice since it was pretty warm out.

The lake we camped at was very nice. The ranger had warned us that it was full of leeches and he wasn't kidding. Just looking in while I got water I saw 10 and one started swimming toward my bottle. There was also a couple really curious deer up there. They had no fear of us at all, sleeping bags were another story. One of the hikers had left his bag out to dry and when it ruffled the deer took off.

No comments:

Post a Comment