Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Chama to three lakes

After taking a zero in town I was ready to go. Chama was a nice little town with very friendly townsfolk. We had a lady who owned the ice cream shop offer to give us a ride for the 3 miles across town to the motel in the middle of the day. She took two trips and said watch my shop till I get back. Leaving it wide open while she ran the first group down.

We got a ride back up to the trail from Sanjay's parents. the first bit was pretty nice with a easy hike up to elevation. I quickly fell behind the group due to my cough acting up. After lunch we hit the snow and they left Memphis and me in the dust.

The hiking in the snow sucked. It was really frustrating took. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I'm postholing so much more than everyone except Memphis. I watched two other hikers walk across a valley then up the hill postholing only 3 times. Memphis and I then tried the same thing and were postholing every 10 steps in the valley and every 5 up the hill. It has to be something with how we are stepping on the snow but I can't figure it out.

The hiking got worse as the day progressed. The snow got softer and we postholed even more. We kept hiking until 730, partly to catch up with the group but mostly cause there was no place to camp. We eventually made it to three lakes where everyone was camped and called it an exhausting 12 mile day. I was more tired today than after my marathon hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment